A Foxconn factory in Shenzhen, China. Image credit: Steve Jurvetson
Foxconn, the Taiwanese company responsible for manufacturing the iPhone 5, has denied claims that a Chinese factory has been hit by a “large-scale” strike.
According to a report by China Labour Watch (CLW), a group that previously claimed that Foxconn hired student “interns” during the school year, industrial action on Monday involved three to four thousand production workers at FoxConn’s Zhengzhou factory.
Foxconn says that over the last week, it saw only two minor disputes and the production of Apple’s smartphone is on schedule.
CLW says that the strike was a response to a combination of issues. According to the New York-based advocacy group, workers were angered by unreasonable demands for quality control and the requirement to work through the week-long National Day holiday.
However, Foxconn has denied the industrial action ever happened. “Any reports that there has been an employee strike are inaccurate,” the company told Reuters, adding that “there has been no workplace stoppage in that facility or any other Foxconn facility and production has continued on schedule”.
The only disputes the company acknowledges happened in the previous week, and were “immediately addressed”. It also claims that staff offered to work on the National Day voluntarily, in exchange for triple pay.
How much do you know about Apple? Take our quiz!
But will Beijing or ByteDance allow sale? Amazon joins potential bidders for TikTok in US,…
Elon Musk dismisses report that Trump told cabinet that he expects Musk to leave his…
Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly lobbying President Donald Trump for a settlement to avoid antitrust trial…
As global markets reel from Trump's tariffs, the price of Bitcoin slides as investors seek…
Semiconductor imports are free of Trump's tariff war, but concerns remain over imports of smartphones…